Monday, September 7, 2015

Salt Lake Twin Peaks

I started in the dark this morning up Broads Fork to summit the Salt Lake East and West Twin Peaks. I saw two moose on the trail, but it was while it was still dark so I didn't get any pictures.  I ran as much as I could up the relatively steep trail (average grade 20%).  It took me 2 hours and 10 minutes to the East Twin peak about 5,000 feet above where I started.  From there, the West Twin took no time at all and was well worth the extra effort.  

There is an app called Strava which records your tracks through GPS and then shows you how you did compared to other runners who use the popular app.  I was way excited to when I got back to my car to see that I got 6th place on the trailhead to East Twin segment!  I was even more excited when the people I saw in the first 5 spots ahead of me were people who have inspired me in the mountains and are way fast!  It feels good to see the many miles of hard work paying off.  Last month my goal was to run/hike 20 mountain miles a week.  This month my goal is to run/hike 25 mountain miles with at least 10,000 feet of elevation gain each week.  Off to a great start for this first week!

The Strava app also gives me an estimate of the calories I'm burning.  On today's journey it said I burned 2,368 calories! No wonder I'm always so hungry!

 The sunrise on Sunrise Peak

 Mountains as far as you can see on the East Twin

 The view down Deaf Smith canyon into the valley

 The Little Cottonwood Ridge from Pfeifferhorn to Lone Peak

 The south fork of Deaf Smith

8.8 miles and 5,469 feet of elevation gain



No comments:

Post a Comment