Monday, September 7, 2015

South Ridge Superior and Devil's Castle


About a month ago I decided I wanted to bridge the gap between some of the 3rd and 4th class ridge hikes I had done earlier this year and go on a few 5th class ridges.  On the YDS scale 5th class is where actual rock climbing starts and the ratings start at 5.0 all the way to 5.15.  Low 5th class climbs are relatively "easy" climbs for those who have some climbing experience.  I was pretty scared about both of these hike/run/climbs simply because when I pulled up YouTube videos they looked way worse than they really were.  I used to have a pretty severe anxiety disorder when I was younger.  My mountain adventures have played a large role in overcoming a lot of that.  But I have to stay on top of it by overcoming my fears, within reason of course.  As always God helped me overcome my fears and it turned out to be way easier than it looked on YouTube.  I really do believe that God cares about what we care about and will provide enabling strength for anyone who sincerely asks. That being said, these two adventures would definitely not be recommended for anyone without some climbing experience and skill and also anyone who isn't very comfortable on some of the easier ridges in the Wasatch.

Devil's Castle:






Now for Mount Superior:





This picture shows the ridge profile.  3,000 feet of elevation gain over only like a mile and a half I think.  It was incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment