Sunday, March 20, 2016

Emma's, Jaws, Findaway, and cliffs!

It's been awhile since we had a nice powder day. The wind during the last storm and the amount of new snow meant it wasn't a good day for anything big but just finding some good powder turns on less technical terrain.  It was crazy how to think about how much I've grown as a skier since the last time I skied the Emma's.  It just didn't do it for me like it used to, but still an exciting day.  After a lap down Emma 4, I headed back up Emma 2.  I wasn't sure if I would be able to get my new line in for the day but then remembered I had wanted to go down the chute called Jaws at some point.  Since I was now right above Jaws I decided to check it out.  After a couple ski cuts I enjoyed my first powder skiing down a chute.  The apron below was incredible!  I love the feeling of floating through untouched powder.  Once I had skinned back up to the ridge and I ran into both Aaron Rice and Aaron Kennard (I had been trying to meet up with them all afternoon but it's pretty hard to do when both parties keep skiing in between communications).  Aaron Kennard had to go home but Aaron Rice was taking a couple more laps so he showed me Findaway which was a cool area, but we ran into some wind slab.  On the way out Emma 2, Aaron was filming me with the GoPro I'm borrowing from Dr. Stagg and I inadvertently went off about a ten foot cliff that wasn't visible until it was too late.  Fortunately, I was able to stay calm, land below the cliff, and rode for 5-10 feet before tipping backwards.  Overall, a very exciting power day.

Jaws

Looking back up

Wind slab


Unintentional cliff

No comments:

Post a Comment