Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Wasatch Powderkeg

My first race since high school track and first ski mountaineering race.  It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot.  I was able to get 5th place which I know was pretty good but I was bummed about how close I was to getting 3rd place and just feeling like I didn't do my best.  Aaron K finished five minutes faster (he raced in the elite division because his new skis were too light for Heavy Metal).  He said since he knew he wasn't going to be in the front of the elite division he just went his normal pace and ended up finishing 5 minutes faster.  I ran to get my spot out of the gate and just wasted energy in the beginning of the race and then my blood sugar got way low on the last big climb and I didn't have any other energy sources.  I also thought the people in 4th and 5th were farther ahead then they really were and let that get to me.  When we got to the last short climb I could see 3rd and 4th place about a minute in front of me but by then it was too late to pass them.  

The green in the uphill skinning, yellow are the booters, red are the descents
6,100 ft of climbing in 3 hours and 23 minutes






No comments:

Post a Comment